About us

An Internet-only news site devoted to issues regarding Warrenton, Ga., and its environs.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Small Mississippi town digs up its dirt-covered swimming pool

Some folks in Stonewall, Miss., are digging out the remains of the old city swimming pool and plan to reopen it, The New York Times says. I always heard that the Warrenton city pool at the park downtown -- now covered in grass, with just the concrete rim showing -- was closed in a similar fashion, as a means to prevent racial integration years ago (though I admit I wasn't alive then and have no proof as to whether that's accurate).

I remember running around the concrete rectangle with my classmates at Miss Sue's Wee Wisdom Kindergarten. I think the object of the game was to chase each other on the concrete and not step by accident into the grass center.

No comments:

Post a Comment