About us

An Internet-only news site devoted to issues regarding Warrenton, Ga., and its environs.

Monday, November 19, 2007

Legion Field fades into history

The old Warren County High School football field -- where my mother played the clarinet in the school band and where my uncle was once center on the football team -- has played host to its last game. The Warren County Screaming Devils have relocated to the new football field to compliment the new high school building. (They won in the first round of the playoffs last weekend, The Augusta Chronicle reports.)

Legion Field -- that was its proper name, which hardly anyone ever used -- was, or is, a few hundred yards from the house where I grew up on English Drive. I remember swinging on the swingset in my backyard many an afternoon, listening to the thump-thump-thump of the beat as the band practiced at the football field.

No comments:

Post a Comment